tuples are useless???

James Stroud jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu
Tue Apr 10 00:04:17 EDT 2007

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 22:20:45 -0700, James Stroud wrote:
>

>>Steven D'Aprano wrote:

>>>Possible, if by possible you mean "broken".

>>>{['bob', 'carol', 'ted']: 3}

>>>{['Bob', 'carol', 'ted']: 3}

>>>True

>>>Traceback (most recent call last):
>>>  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>>>KeyError: ['Bob', 'carol', 'ted']
>>>

>>   def __setitem__(self, *args):
>>     raise TypeError, '%s doesn't support item assignment.' %
>>self.__class__.__name__
>>

>>Problem fixed. Next?
>

> hl.reverse()
> hl.sort() # if the list isn't already sorted
> del hl[0]
> hl.append()
> etc.
>

> Yes, you can block those as well...

To prevent abuse.

but by the time you've finished making
> your HashedList immutable, it is just a slower tuple with a different
> name.

But has an index() method.

> In other words... you can avoid using tuples by using a tuple with a
> different name. You might as well just do this:
>
> HashedList = tuple

You can avoid using tuples any number of ways. For example, you can
catenate strings.

You seem to be under the misapprehension that I authored the Subjet
line. Please read the original quote:

 > It boils down to the fact that tuples are useless as a result unless
 > you know you really need them--and you never really NEED them.

Bear in mind that this was also a response to someone admittedly less
familiar to the language--to encourage him to use lists in favor of
tuples to avoid inconveniences later.

The HashedList is to show that you can always get around the requirement
for a tuple and thus an absolute need for a tuple doesn't exist, as
implied by the quote. I make no assertions as to the HashedLists
efficiency. I use tuples all of the time, but I could just as well
catenate strings etc. They are a language convenience that are
ultimately dispensible.

James