pyparsing Catch-22

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 21:41:25 EDT 2007

7stud wrote:
> For as hard as you push pyparsing on this forum, I would think you
> would make it easier to download and install your module.   In my
> opinion, the wiki should provide detailed installation instructions
> for all supported os's, and the sourceforge downloading process is too
> complicated.

FWIW, here's what works for me::

* Go to http://pyparsing.wikispaces.com/
* Click the link at the top that says "Download from SourceForge"
* Click the big green "Download Python parsing module" button
* Click the big green "Download" button next to "pyparsing-1.4.6"
* Click pyparsing-1.4.6.tar.gz
* Extract the dowloaded .tar.gz
* Use the standard python installation idiom "python setup.py install"

If you're not familiar with the standard Python installation idiom, take
a few minutes to read:

     "Installing Python Modules"
     http://docs.python.org/inst/inst.html

In particular it starts with "The new standard: Distutils", which tells
you to try::

     python setup.py install

HTH,

STeVe