Newbie - needs help

kyosohma at gmail.com kyosohma at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 17:16:26 EDT 2007

On Apr 3, 3:42 pm, "Anbeyon" <anbe... at btinternet.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have not yet programmed in Python but am experienced in a number o
> other languages.
>
> I'd like to start to use Python to develop cross platform applications
> but havin kust started to investigate tols, libraries etc  I feel a
> little overwhelmed.
>
> I'm hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.
>
> What I'd like to achieve is the abilty to develop applications for
> both Windows and Linux (Desktop and embedded).  I'd also like to be
> able to develop applications that make use of TCP/IP and things like
> 'Widget' libraries.
>
> In an ideal would like to be able to pull together Python apps with
> GUI front ends  in a nice IDE with a debugger.
>
> Does such a toolset exisit ?
>
> Perhaps some people can sully me some links ?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Anbeyon

There's lot of Python tools available for you.

ActiveState has ActivePython (free) - http://www.activestate.com/products/activepython/
Eclipse has a plugin to use for Python - http://www.easyeclipse.org/site/home/

If you use wxPython you can use:
Boa Constructor - http://boa-constructor.sourceforge.net/
Stani's Python Editor - http://pythonide.blogspot.com/
Dabo - http://dabodev.com/

For others, check this:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/IntegratedDevelopmentEnvironments

Most are free, but some have different licenses. Read up on them.

I still use IDLE for most of my work. Currently I am playing with
XRCed. I did find PythonWin, ActiveState's and Eclipse's to be handy
too though.

Mike