Generate report containing pdf or ps figures?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Tue Apr 24 11:55:31 EDT 2007

On 2007-04-24, Cameron Laird <claird at lairds.us> wrote:

[...]
>>I've looked at ReportLab's documentation, but although it
>>appears to be able to use bitmap images (e.g jpeg) it doesn't
>>appear to be able to use vector images (EPS/PDF/SVG).
>>
>>Is there a PDF generation library that can place EPS or
>>PDF figures on a page?
> 			.
> 			.
> 			.
> You're stuck.
>
> If I understand what you're after, you're probably going to
> end up finding a way to leverage Ghostscript.  There are a
> lot of ways to move forward in this area, but GS has most of
> 'em beat, despite all its liabilities.

Yup, GS is what I'm using now, and it's working fine.  I was
hoping there would be something that'd be easier to bundle as
part of a Win32 application.  You can pretty much except a
Linux platform to have ghostscript available, but for Win32
users it'll have to be bundled. :/

> That's my summary.  I've done quite a bit in this area, and
> am happy to talk about specifics.
>
> I have two recommendations:  see if anything in <URL:
> http://phaseit.net/claird/comp.text.pdf/PDF_converters.html >
> resonates with you; and e-mail the nice folks at <URL:
> http://www.pdf-tools.com/ >.

Thanks.  I'll take a look at those.

It's too bad that ReportLab can't use vector image formats such
as PDF or SVG.  I would have thought that sticking a PDF image
into a PDF document would be a pretty straight-forward thing to
do, but it must not be something in high demand.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Did I do an INCORRECT
                                  at               THING??