what python technology for my app?

Dietmar Schwertberger dietmar at schwertberger.de
Fri Apr 27 19:04:48 EDT 2007

In article <mailman.7035.1177681448.32031.python-list at python.org>,
Robert Rawlins - Think Blue <URL:mailto:robert.rawlins at thinkbluemedia.co.uk> wrote:
> Haha, no Troll, just a shameless plug for my life's one true love ;-)

Strange enough to live that love on the wrong newsgroup...

Until now all indications are: Troll

Anyway, given the original poster's description I would be /very/ surprised
that CF would be the right answer.
On the other hand, you're writing that CF would deliver all kinds of PDFs,
statistical charts etc.

As I'm working on similar applications, I would be very interested
to hear about how to approach such requirements in any language/environment.

Please outline a solution to e.g.:
 - 1000 data files / lots
 - per data file / lot:
   - some meta information like: date/time, equipment, temperature, ...
   - 5000 data sets / parts
     for each data set / part:
      - 5 meta data entries / flags (16 bit int each)
      - 1000 data entries each (floating point value + 16 bits of flags)

Example query/report requirement:
 - select 800 of the data files acc. to the meta information
   (e.g. date/time range)
 - select all data sets within the 800 files where the meta data matches
   some bit masks
 - calculate statistical data like min/avg/median/max, percentiles etc.
   per data file for the selected data sets
 - create a time series plot of these statistical results

Regards,

Dietmar