Help Understanding mx.ODBC Error

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Apr 18 14:50:07 EDT 2007

Greg Corradini wrote:
> Hello All,
> A few weeks ago, I wrote two scripts using mx.ODBC on an Access DB. Among
> other things, both scripts create new tables, perform a query and then
> populate the tables with data in a dictionary that I've uploaded from
> elsewhere. These scripts have run hundreds of times in the last few weeks
> with no problems.
>
> But recently they continue to bail on the mycursor.execute('An SQL
> Statement') after the table has been created. I get the following error
> message:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "C:\Documents and Settings\marv1shi\Desktop\Workspace\Existence
> Script\DBF Checker\Access_SQL.py", line 35, in ?
> curse.execute(sql)
> ProgrammingError: ('07001', -3010, '[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access
> Driver] Too few parameters. Expected 4.', 4612)
>
> The real stinker, however, is that after it bails I can manually call
> mycursor.execute('An SQL Statement'), then call my insert statement in the
> Python Shell and it works fine.
>
> I just can't figure out how to reconcile this problem. Has anybody run into
> this before?
>
> Thanks
> Greg Corradini

I suspect what's happening here is that you are presenting statements
you have made up programmatically, and the values you are trying to
insert include apostrophes that break the syntax of your SQL. However
there isn't really enough evidence to decide unless you are prepared to
show us the error traceback, possibly with a dump of the SQL statement
you are actually trying to execute.

I apologize in advance if you are using parameterized queries (as you
should to avoid SQL injection vulnerabilities among other major
problems) but this message is typical of Access when it sees words it
can't parse.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Skype: holdenweb     http://del.icio.us/steve.holden