Function arguments [was: help]

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Apr 13 08:44:24 EDT 2007

pierre-yves guido wrote:
> hello (I hope my english is not so bad),

Your English is quite good. In future, though, please try to make your
subject line say a bit more about the problem - we *all* need help!

> I'm doing a training course and I'm a newbie in Python. My problem :
> I have a form, and when I click, I make an update. But all the parameters
> are all required to make the update. So I'd like to put in my code something
> like [optional]...
>
> My code (simplyfied) :
>
> prg.ev_ind_update(wf_pk_ev_ind=wf_pk_ev_ind,wf_fonction=wf_fonction,wf_nom=wf_nom)
>
> and so, when I put nothing in wf_nom, it put me that error :"the parameter
> wf_nom...was omitted from the request...". But sometimes, wf_nom is not
> required !
>
> Thanks to help a poor young boy

When you define a function or a method (using the def statement) you can
specify default values for arguments. A simple example:

  >>> def fun(a, b=3):
  ...   return a*b
  >>> fun(3)
9
  >>> fun(7)
21
  >>> fun(7, 4)
28
  >>> fun(a=7)
21
  >>> fun(a=3, b=12)
36
  >>> fun(b=99)
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: fun() takes at least 1 non-keyword argument (0 given)

You can see several things here:

1. When you call a function you do not *have* to give thte names of the
arguments - they can be matched by position.

2. When you define a function you can specify a default value for one or
more arguments (these argument have to appear *after* the ones for which
no default is defined)

3. If you don't provide a value for an argument that has no default then
you will receive an exception, which normally results in a traceback.

Hope this helps. Welcome to Python, and its friendly community.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Skype: holdenweb     http://del.icio.us/steve.holden