Looking for the Perfect Editor

Ant antroy at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 18:20:52 EDT 2006

Roger wrote:
> The biggest problem I have with anything written in Java is the long
> startup time.  The editor may be great but the platform is mediocre.

The startup time is one of the main reasons I have started to use vim
more than jEdit. That and the fact that I currently have to work on
headless linux servers over ssh, and I'm fed up with constanty hitting
escape for no apparent reason, or typing :w at the end of a line...

Vi is a seriously steep learning curve though, and I wouldn't recommend
it for ease of use. I've been using it on and off for two years now,
and have only just started to use some of the more advanced features...

jEdit however, if you keep it in memory (it can be started in server
mode, where new instances connect to the running instance) it's not too
slow to start up, and is very powerful very quickly. As others have
said, the console plugin is very good, (an equivalent I haven't found
for vim yet - anyone?) jython is only required if you want to write
macros or plugins in python.