Looking for the Perfect Editor

limodou limodou at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 20:44:11 EDT 2006

On 9/15/06, Roger <crosseyedpenguin at cox.net> wrote:
> Jay wrote:
> > I, too, am a hardcore fan of jEdit.  It's nice to finally see some user
> > support on this forum.  :-)
>

> The biggest problem I have with anything written in Java is the long
> startup time.  The editor may be great but the platform is mediocre.
>
> I am a SciTE bigot.  I have recently tried SPE and UliPad.  UliPad would
> be my second choice and is still installed, but SPE was quickly removed.
>   One feature I like about SciTE is being able to position the cursor
> anywhere on a word and hit CTL-F to find the NEXT occurrence.
>
> With UliPad, you have to select the entire word you want to search for,
> and then when you hit CTL-F -- it first finds the same occurrence you
> selected -- you have to hit F3 to find the next.

No, in UliPad you can first select the word(double-click the word),
then press F4 to locate the next position.

And if you install the newest source version of UliPad, it also
suplied an enhanced Input Assistant feature, as type some character in
blank place, it'll popup a list which will match what you type,
including identifiers, class names, function names, parameters names,
etc. And there is also a vim-like shortkey, Ctrl+P, Ctrl+Shift+P,
Ctrl+L, Ctrl+Shift+L(which are in Duplicate menu), they'll match the
word backward or forward to
current position, you can try it.
> I think SciTE is better engineered.  Still, much of your choice is
> personal preference.  I have noticed that any two people using the same
> editor will use different keystroke and mouse sequences when presented
> with similar editing problems.
>
> Good discussion - I thank the originator of the thread.
>
> Roger
>

> --

I like python!
My Blog: http://www.donews.net/limodou