python interpreter on solaris 10

sam python.sam at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 25 14:44:33 EDT 2006

casevh at comcast.net wrote:
> > i think i've tracked down the equivalent files on my pc. one opens the
> > interpreter in a white-backed text editor, the other at the
> > black-backed command prompt. i have equivalent files of the same size
> > on the workstation, which must be the same. does anyone know why i'm
> > getting 'there is no installed viewer capable of displaying the
> > document'?
>
> What, exactly, are you doing to create this error?

searching on the java desktop for all files with 'idle' in them.
clicking on idle.py which is the same size as the equivalent file on my
pc (from which idle does open).
'could not open document "idle.py"' message comes up.

> What happens when you enter the line below at a command prompt?
>
> /usr/bin/python
not found

/usr/lib/python2.4/idlelib/idle.py
/usr/sfw/python2.3/idlelib/idle.py gives

'there is no action associated with "idle.py"'
configure gnome to associate application?

click yes:
edit file type window pops up.
program to run menu is empty.
browse is available. any ideas on what i need to choose?