Talking to marketing people about Python

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Mon Sep 25 08:57:53 EDT 2006

In article <1159187290.052703.116370 at i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
 rdsteph at mac.com wrote:

> 5. Number of job listings on internet job listing boards.

I just did a quick survey for Perl and Python jobs on some of the big IT
job boards.  I came up with:

Site          Perl      Python
Hotjobs       2756       655
Monster      >1000       317
Dice          4828       803

I'm not sure how I'm going to spin that to a marketing guy to make him
think that "by many (most?) measurements, Python is now more widely used
than Perl for many types of applications"

Has somebody done a historical analysis of job listing growth over the past
few years?  If there was a graph showing the lines cross in N years, that
would be more impressive.