Talking to marketing people about Python

Carl Banks pavlovevidence at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 15:14:39 EDT 2006

rdsteph at mac.com wrote:
> As a sometimes marketing droid on my day job (please don't tell
> anyone!) I think you should point out that, while 5-10 years ago Perl
> was more popular and widely used than Python, Python has been growing
> at a much higher rate, and by many (most?) measurements, Python is now
> more widely used than Perl for many types of applications.

Anecdotally, I've been surprised lately at the number of standalone
applications that show up on Debian-testing I've seen written in
Python.  (Used to be pretty much just sketch and Zope.)  Haven't seen
too much new stuff in Perl.  I could be biased.

Still don't know whether labeling something as written in Python is
intended to be a "badge of honor" or "advance warning".

Carl Banks