a different question: can you earn a living with *just* python?

Michele Simionato michele.simionato at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 03:26:23 EDT 2006

Roy Smith wrote:
> The problem is, if the complex features are there, people will use them.
> On any large project, there will always be some people who revel in using
> every obscure feature of a language.  That forces everybody else on the
> team (and all future members of the team) to know (or learn) those features
> in order to be able to use and maintain the code base.

Well, I am sympathetic with your point and I actually would have no
problem if metaclasses
and multiple inheritance were removed from the language. However my
point was a
different one. If you know all this stuff, you are likely to be able to
learn any language.
My point was that when hiring a programmer, one should also look at the
potential of the
person, not only at his/her present skills.

       Michele Simionato