a different question: can you earn a living with *just* python?

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Thu Sep 28 15:14:17 EDT 2006

Roy Smith a écrit :
> In article <mailman.845.1159401951.10491.python-list at python.org>,
>  "Carl J. Van Arsdall" <cvanarsdall at mvista.com> wrote:
>

>>>Things like decorators and metaclasses certainly add power, but they add
>>>complexity too.  It's no longer a simple language.
>>>

>>Well, I think a simple language is a language that makes the simple
>>things simple and some of the complex things simple.  But I also like a
>>language where, if I need it, I can tap into some raw power and do that
>>really wild stuff.  So its simple to use if that's all you need yet
>>offers the complexity to get things done that a purely "simple" language
>>can't do.  I'd say its as simple as you want it to be :)
>

> The problem is, if the complex features are there, people will use them.
> On any large project, there will always be some people who revel in using
> every obscure feature of a language.  That forces everybody else on the
> team (and all future members of the team) to know (or learn) those features
> in order to be able to use and maintain the code base.

The fact is that these "complex" features allow to *greatly* simplify
things, specially on "large" projects - that may not be that large after
all. Now wrt/ being "forced" to learn these features, it's certainly
more rewarding and less difficult than having to grasp Javaish monster
hierarchies and overcomplicated frameworks where you have to define
interfaces and classes for something as dumb as a callback function.

Believe me, I've seen Python code that was really quite complex (and
hard to maintain) *because* it didn't use the "obscure" features of the
language. "When the only tool you have is a hammer..."