Timeline for Python?

wesley chun wescpy at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 02:32:03 EDT 2006

> From: Fredrik Lundh <fredrik at pythonware.com>
> Date: Sat, Sep 23 2006 12:03 pm
>
>> i cover through 2.5, but also include stuff that have
>> already been slated for 2.6 and 2.7.
>
> and what would that be?  target versions in the PEP:s are usually just
> wild guesses...

true, and it's obviously a *bad* idea to be wrong.
i don't have easy access to where in the manuscript
i've made such annotations, however, there are some
minor things which i'm reasonably sure will be in 2.6:

- 'as' becomes a keyword
- catching of string exceptions generates a warning (in 2.5, raising
of string exceptions generates a warning)
- the 'with' statement, introduced under __future__ in 2.5, becomes standard
- intra-package imports not using the relative import syntax will
generate a warning

i'm sure all you dev folks will let me know where
i've hung myself.  i can always make an errata
correction on the book's website as with any other
problems that people find.

however, the main point of my reply is really that
i've tried hard to make the book to be as version-
independent as much as possible.  the added bonus
is for those who *are* locked into specific (pre-
sumably older) versions to know about features that
were added to, altered in, or removed from Python
and for which releases those updates were first
introduced to the public.

cheers,
-wesley

    http://corepython.com