Timeline for Python?

wesley chun wescpy at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 14:03:09 EDT 2006

> In article <1157097423.946429.261... at p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com>,
>> crystalattice <crystalatt... at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> From: "Sebastian Bassi" <sba... at gmail.com>
>>> Date: Thurs, Aug 31 2006 7:51 am
>>> Subject: Re: Timeline for Python?
>>> Groups: comp.lang.python
>>>
>>> I am working on a Python book, since it could be completed in about a
>>> year (writing time + edition + publishing) or more, I would like to
>>> know what version to target since I don't want to release a book that
>>> will be outdated just after is printed.
>>>       :
>>> So, if the book is published in October 2007, should feature Python 3
>>> or Python 2.5?
> >
> >I'd write for 2.4, even though 2.5 should be coming out "shortly".
> >There aren't many significant changes to the whole language between 2.4
> >and 2.5.  Probably the best thing is write for 2.4 and have a sidenote
> >stating where 2.5 operates differently.
>
> Speaking as the co-author of _Python for Dummies_:
>
> That's bad advice -- there are three Python books already out (or out
> within the next couple of weeks) that target 2.5: _Python in a Nutshell_,
> _Core Python_, and _Python for Dummies_.
>       :
> OTOH, I do agree that any book written should include diferences between
> 2.5 and earlier versions for the benefit of people needing to target
> earlier or multiple versions.

sorry to chime in 2 weeks late here, but i second aahz's opinion here,
as well as have some thoughts of my own:

1. never write against older versions of Python... you will only
    obsolete your book even faster (well, "sooner")

2. with respect to 2.4 vs. 2.5, there are some significant changes
    as aahz has pointed out; otherwise it would be 2.4.4.

3. personally speaking, i'm against targeting versions altogether.
    i guess i am a bit biased because in "Core Python Programming",
    the focus is the "core" part of the Python language, hence it
    should be as generic to specific versions as possible. i've
    made serious attempts to avoid being locked-in to any particular
    release. yes, i cover through 2.5, but also include stuff that have
    already been slated for 2.6 and 2.7.  what, if you can discuss, is
    the topic of *your* book?

4. with that said, i have taken aahz's final remark above quite
    seriously... i've gone to great lengths to add "tags" all over
    Core Python which state things like, "2.2", "2.5-2.7", "2.0", etc.
    to indicate when certain features were added, removed, or changed
    in the language.  this will support readers who are users of "any"
    version of Python.

and with a sigh of relief, i can happily tell everyone that Core
Python did finally hit the streets this week!  (more info at the link
below)

cheers,
-- wesley
    http://corepython.com