Installing Python on a 64-Bit OS

Daniel Dittmar daniel.dittmar at sap.com
Tue Sep 19 09:07:23 EDT 2006

Nico Grubert wrote:
> I'd like to install Python 2.3.5. on a 64-Bit OS (Suse Linux Enterprise
> Server 10) on an AMD Opteron 64-Bit machine.
> I have to use Python 2.3.5.
>
> Do I need a special source archive or can I use "Python-2.3.5.tgz" from
> http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.3.5/Python-2.3.5.tgz ?
>
> Is there anything special I have to care about or is installing Python
> on a 64 Bit OS just as easy as installing it on a 32-Bit OS?

On this platform, it should be easy to build from the sources as gcc
builds 64 bit programs by default.

On some platforms (Solaris/Sparc, AIX, HP-UX/PA-RISC), the compiler
defaults to 32bit programs. You then have to convince configure to use
the right CFLAGS. The exact technique might differ from configure to
configure: some require an option, some require an environment variable.
Tip: create wrapper scripts for the compiler (and possibly ld and ar),
which uses the proper options. Add the location of these scripts at the
start of PATH, thus overiding the compiler. Now all configures will
default to 64 bit.

Daniel