distutils on Windows with VC++ 8

Rob Williscroft rtw at freenet.co.uk
Fri Sep 22 03:06:11 EDT 2006

Martin v. Löwis wrote in news:45136400.5030600 at v.loewis.de in
comp.lang.python:

> wandabq at gmail.com schrieb:
>> I'm trying to install two different packages which wrap C or C++ code
>> and which make use of distutils.build_ext, which barfs because my only
>> compiler is too new.  Trying this both on Python 2.4.3 and 2.5.
>> Evidently there is a requirement that the compiler used to build the
>> C/C++ in the installation must be the same as was used to build
>> Python?  Am I understanding that correctly?
>
> Yes.
>
>> What's the workaround?
>
> There are several work-arounds, but they all come down to
> "get a copy of the one of the supported compilers". The options
> are:
> - get a copy of VS 2003 on Ebay

Download the 1.1 SDK:

<url:http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9B3A2CA6-
3647-4070-9F41-A333C6B9181D&displaylang=en>

yes it does have 90 odd megabytes of stuff you don't want but the C/C++
compiler is in there.

> - use cygwin/mingw (should work for C, might not work for
>   C++ if you use MFC or some other MS-compiled library)
> - find the VS 2003 Toolkit; Microsoft took it off the net,
>   but Google may still be able to help

I think the VS 2003 toolkit is a framework for extending Visual Studio
2003, IOW a bunch of .NET dlls, some examples and a helpfile (no
compiler).

Rob.
--
http://www.victim-prime.dsl.pipex.com/