Newbie - ? get IDLE going on cygwin

David J. Braden dbraden at invalid.add
Tue Sep 12 13:35:36 EDT 2006

Hi, (from a total newbie w/ Python. Oh well.)

I can run Python in command-line mode fine from the cygwin shell; the
cygwin distribution also includes IDLE, which is apparently completely
installed, yet I am unable to get IDLE running. When I double-click
idle.bat (or idle.pyw) I am prompted to locate the program's creator.
Darn if I know what it is. If I try to invoke IDLE from cygwen bash, I
get "unable to remap c:\cygwin\bin\tk84.dll to same address as parent".

Obviously I don't know Unix (heck, any OS at a deep level), so this is
likely what creates the fog. Sorry.

Also - could someone plz recommend some useful environment variables for
Python on Windows? If I were to specify PYTHONDOC, should I use Unix or
Windows notation (e.g., "/" or "\").

Many thanks for helping me bootstrap into this.

Dave B