Newbie - ? get IDLE going on cygwin

David J. Braden dbraden at invalid.add
Wed Sep 13 05:42:48 EDT 2006

Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> * David J. Braden (2006-09-12 18:35 +0100)
>> I can run Python in command-line mode fine from the cygwin shell; the
>> cygwin distribution also includes IDLE, which is apparently completely
>> installed, yet I am unable to get IDLE running. When I double-click
>> idle.bat (or idle.pyw) I am prompted to locate the program's creator.
>> Darn if I know what it is. If I try to invoke IDLE from cygwen bash, I
>> get "unable to remap c:\cygwin\bin\tk84.dll to same address as parent".
>
> rebaseall
>
>> Also - could someone plz recommend some useful environment variables for
>> Python on Windows? If I were to specify PYTHONDOC, should I use Unix or
>> Windows notation (e.g., "/" or "\").
>
> You can set them under Windows in Windows notation or in your shell
> startup file in Unix notation.
>
> Thorsten

Thanks, Thorsten. I assume you mean type in "idle rebaseall" (?) - seems
to bring up a window for a split second, then come back with same error
messages I had before. I cannot find in the IDLE doc any reference on
how to get it going under cygwin; could you please point me towards a
less-than-terse set of instructions?

Regards,
Dave B