Interact with system command prompt

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 22:25:27 EDT 2006

billie wrote:

> Uhm... It seems that IPython got some problems:
> http://ipython.scipy.org/doc/manual/node12.html
>
> In details:
>
>>Note that this does not make IPython a full-fledged system shell. In
>>particular, it has >no job control, so if you type Ctrl-Z (under Unix),
>>you'll suspend pysh itself, not the >process you just started.
>
>>What the shell profile allows you to do is to use the convenient and
>>powerful syntax of >Python to do quick scripting at the command line.

Note that these are simply limitations of what has been done out of
developer interest, not fundamental ones of design.  I'm not in the
business of writing system shells, so I (nor anyone else) never implemented
full-fledged job control.

If you do it and send it in, we'll be happy to include it.  And I suspect
IPython does a LOT of stuff already that you'll spend a fair amount of time
rewriting from scratch, so perhaps helping in to fill in the missing pieces
might be a good investment of your time.

Cheers,

f (ipython lead developer)