Python programs always open source?

GHUM haraldarminmassa at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 04:46:46 EDT 2006

Guy Fawkes schrieb:

> I don't want my program to
> be open-source and so far all the Python programs I've seen included the
> source code.

That's one of the great freedoms of Python and its licence: You are
free to chose the licence for your product. No GPLish "you must be as
free as we", more BSDish: "Do what you want, do not come crying"

> Is it possible to make an executable with only bytecode?
I use py2exe with its "new" (~1 year) single file feature with great
success. I even succeeded in including a virtual static directory for a
webserver within that file.

To be exact, it is not really 1 file, but 2, as you often have to
distribute msvcr71.dll with it  - except for those computers having
i.e. MS Office 11 installed, there it is allready present.

Combining py2exe's single file distributable and upx compression I
achieve fairly compact "just drop and use" applications without a real
need for installation. I do not care about people decompiling
(customers get the source code on request, if they are interested).
It would be possible - but those who have the time and knowledge to
dissect and decompile those upxed py2exed files and still make a profit
would probably not see a reason to buy my software anyway :)

Harald