R.S.I. solutions?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Mon Sep 25 16:23:12 EDT 2006

    Paddy> All this keyboarding has finally caught up with me and I'm
    Paddy> getting aches in my fingers.
    Paddy> I was wondering if any Pythonistas had been through this and
    Paddy> found something that worked for them?

There are probably lots of typing watchers out there.  I wrote one several
years ago that's still of some use, assuming you have Python+Tkinter
available:

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/watch/

The basic idea is that you define work and rest intervals.  At the end of
the work interval it forces you to rest by blanking the screen.  At the
beginning you start with short work and long rest periods (maybe 10 minutes
and four minutes, respectively).  As your RSI improves, you lengthen the
work time and reduce the rest time.  I found that when you got to the point
where you have something like 30 minutes of work and two minutes of rest you
no longer get much, if any, benefit from it.

Skip