xinclude and pathnames

Tim Arnold tiarno at sas.com
Wed Sep 13 09:46:09 EDT 2006

I'm using ElementTree to access some xml configuration files, and using the
module's xinclude capability. I've got lines like this in the parent xml
file (which lives in the same directory as the included xml file):
<xi:include href="/dept/app/doc/current/en/xml/asdf/asdf_syntaxterms.xml"/>

When I started the project it was Unix-only; this worked fine. Now I have
users who want to use the system on Windows and of course that directory
path doesn't exist on Windows, but it is available on the network using a
name like \\ladida\current\en\xml\asdf\asdf_syntaxterms.xml

if relative paths worked, I could imagine
<xi:include href="asdf_syntaxterms.xml" /> would work.
Also,the file can be read via an http server.

My question: is there a way to make xinclude work with relative paths or
perhaps urls?
Any ideas welcome--to me it looks like I'll have to restructure this part of
the system since I've basically programmed myself into a corner.

thanks,
--Tim Arnold