xinclude and pathnames

Tim Arnold tiarno at sas.com
Thu Sep 14 09:12:53 EDT 2006

"Tim Arnold" <tiarno at sas.com> wrote in message
news:ee9231$mpj$1 at foggy.unx.sas.com...
> I'm using ElementTree to access some xml configuration files, and using
> the module's xinclude capability. I've got lines like this in the parent
> xml file (which lives in the same directory as the included xml file):
> <xi:include
> href="/dept/app/doc/current/en/xml/asdf/asdf_syntaxterms.xml"/>
>
> When I started the project it was Unix-only; this worked fine. Now I have
> users who want to use the system on Windows and of course that directory
> path doesn't exist on Windows, but it is available on the network using a
> name like \\ladida\current\en\xml\asdf\asdf_syntaxterms.xml
>
> if relative paths worked, I could imagine
> <xi:include href="asdf_syntaxterms.xml" /> would work.
> Also,the file can be read via an http server.
>
> My question: is there a way to make xinclude work with relative paths or
> perhaps urls?
> Any ideas welcome--to me it looks like I'll have to restructure this part
> of the system since I've basically programmed myself into a corner.

Replying to my own post. With no replies I assume that means either (a) I
didn't explain the problem very well, or (b) I really have programmed myself
into a corner and there's no other way to happiness except to rethink the
problem.

That is, is there really no way to share xinclude'd files between *nix and
Windows platforms.

Anyone been down this road before?
thanks,
--Tim Arnold