Verify an e-mail-adress - syntax and dns

Steven D'Aprano steve at REMOVEME.cybersource.com.au
Mon Sep 25 05:33:24 EDT 2006

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 13:23:03 +0200, Ingo Linkweiler wrote:

>> The usual way to cope with this is sending out confirmation mails.  No
>> need to check if the address is syntactically correct beforehand.
>
> yes, I do this allready. But it would be nice to do some checks before
> to avoid wrong user inputs.

Because you like reinventing the wheel and doing the same work twice?

By memory, in an thread about the same topic just a few days ago, Fredrik
Lundh posted a link to Perl's FAQs that suggests a method for "validating"
email addresses: treat it like a password and ask the user to type it
twice. That will protect against simple typos and input errors.

For everything else, send to it and see what happens.

--
Steven D'Aprano