upgrade 2.4 -> 2.5 HowTo

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Sep 4 04:41:59 EDT 2006

Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> what has to be done for upgrading from Python 2.4 to 2.5?
>
> - How can I find out which packages (in addition to the core packages) have been
>    installed up to now
> - Can I just copy   /usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages  to
>                      /usr/local/lib/python2.5 ?

Alas, no, this will only work for pure Python packages.

If any of your packages are "extensions" in compiled languages
(typically C or C++) then they need to be completely rebuilt, as the
interpreter API changes between releases.

Technically you should be able to copy the pure Python packages and
midules across, althought eh .pyc file format alos differs between
releases. However, the .pyc files will all be rebuilt automatically when
they are required.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119