How to run Python file?

Rick Zantow rzantow at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 20:54:41 EDT 2006

"mistral" <polychrom at softhome.net> wrote in news:1157239512.139823.15650
@74g2000cwt.googlegroups.com:

[...]
> Assuming I have Windows XP, and I installed ActiveState Python. No any
> other additional manipulations were done, no any PATHEXTes environment
> variables, etc, etc, nothing. How many preparatory work required to
run
> one small python file?

I hope I'm understanding your question correctly.

I can't really answer with regard to ActiveState's version. I've only
used the Python.org binary installation for a long time, and it does set
up the path on installation. I don't think it adds the PATHEXT, but I
really don't remember; I've had some version on my computer since Python
1.5.2. Without that, though, all you'd need would be to type
> python test.py
... given the other assumptions you've indicated. Oh, if you are running
the python program (located in a directory not in your path) from some
other directory, you'd need to specify the full pathname, I suppose,
like
> python c:\dir\test.py

I'd assume that ActiveState also sets the path up, but again, I can't
say for sure that it does. If it doesn't, then you'd add the Python root
directory to your path or else you'd have to specify *that* each time as
well.

--
rzed