Looking for the Perfect Editor

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 03:47:30 EDT 2006

On 9/15/06, Wildemar Wildenburger <wildemar at freakmail.de> wrote:
> Ramon Diaz-Uriarte wrote:
> >> c) can run programs right from within
> >
> > But of course. And, contrary to some others (e.g., JEdit, which I
> > think forces you to use Jython, so you are stuck with Python 2.1 for
> > now) you use the current python interpreter you have installed.
>
> Wrong. But so terribly wrong ;). Jython is not at all needed to use
> python with jEdit. I think the only reason to actually use Jython in

OK, so I stand corrected. However:

- I did not want to imply that you need Jython for editing Python with
JEdit. JEdit can eidt Python files without Jython, of course.

- I was referring to executing arbitrary sections of a Python file in
a Python interpreter in an "integrated way". When I tried JEdit, I
think that Jython was the way to go. (And I think this was also the
case for a while, at least to judge from D. Metrz's review
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-cpyide/

> The console plugin (probably THE most useful of the pack) gives you a
> system shell and means to start compilers/interpreters based on your

But isn't this a "generic console": you go to the console, and then
type "python2.3" or "python2.4" or whatever? How do you send arbitrary
selections of Python code from the file you are editing to this shell?
Is there a way to mark a section of code and have it evaluated by the
python interpreter? Or a function definition?

R.