creating a small test server on my local computer

Ant antroy at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 03:20:14 EDT 2006

Mirco Wahab wrote:
> Thus spoke John Salerno (on 2006-09-29 21:13):
> My advice would be (because Apache installations on
> WinXP don't usually support Python (except pulling
> the whole thing into each CGI invocation) - download
> and install a VMWare Player

This sounds a horribly complicated way of doing things. If you read the
OP's post, it seems he is simply trying to serve straight HTML pages
(but with Server Side Includes) locally for testing, rather than having
to pester his operations guys to put them up on the company servers.

If it's just HTML and SSI, then Apache is the easy answer on XP. The
download is a simple .msi installer, and you'll just be able to drop
the html files in the htdocs directory to start serving them.
(http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi)

If you look at the docs for a majority of the Python webservers, they
recommend putting them behind Apache for production use, and for good
reason, Apache httpd is probably the most mature, stable and feature
rich web server out there.

(Incidentally, adding python support with mod_python is a breeze on XP
- just another installer and uncommenting a couple of lines in the
httpd.conf file. But then for actual python development it may be
simpler to get started using a framework such as TurboGears or Django,
which both have very good introductory tutorials.)