Running python from a usb drive

cjl cjlesh at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 13:14:58 EDT 2006

Hey:

I am trying to run python from a usb drive under windows xp. I
installed python "for this user" on to a machine, then copied the
entire Python24 directory to the usb drive.

I have the following in a batch file at the root of the drive:

@path=%PATH%;%CD%Python24;%CD%Python24\libs;%CD%Python24\Scripts;%CD%Python24\Lib\site-packages;%CD%Python24\DLLs
@set pythonpath = %CD%Python24
@cmd

When I double click the file and type 'python' at the prompt I am in a
working python environment, and I am able to import modules in the
site-packages directory (in this case, django).

However, when I run a script directly from the cmd prompt (in this case
'django-admin.py' the script runs, but fails to import modules from the
site-packages directory.

Is there a command line option to python.exe or an environment variable
I can set to remedy this?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
CJL