Python style: to check or not to check args and data members

Joel Hedlund joel.hedlund at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 04:01:37 EDT 2006

 > Short answer: Use Traits. Don't invent your own mini-Traits.

Thanks for a quick and informative answer! I'll be sure to read up on the
subject. (And also: thanks Bruno for your contributions!)

 > Types are very frequently exactly the wrong thing you want to check for.

I see what you mean. Allowing several data types may generate unwanted side
effects (integer division when expecting real division, for example).

I understand that Traits can do value checking which is superior to what I
presented, and that they can help me move validation away from functional
code, which is always desirable. But there is still the problem of setting
an approprate level of validation.

Should I validate data members only? This is quite easily done using Traits
or some other technique and keeps validation bloat localized in the code.
This is in line with the DRY principle and makes for smooth extensibility,
but the tracebacks will be less useful.

Or should I go the whole way and validate at every turn (all data members,
every arg in every method, ...)? This makes for very secure code and very
useful tracebacks, but does not feel very DRY to me... Are the benefits
worth the costs? Do I build myself a fortress of unmaintainability this way?
Will people laugh at my modules?

Or taken to the other extreme: Should I simply duck-type everything, and
only focus my validation efforts to external data (from users, external
applications and other forces of evil). This solution makes for extremely
clean code, but the thought of potential silent data corruption makes me
more than a little queasy.

What level do you go for?

Thanks!
/Joel