Building things with setup.py

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 13:58:42 EDT 2006

James Stroud wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:
>> James Stroud wrote:

>>> The build process, by the way, required my copying libpython2.5.a to
>>> $HOME/Programs/lib.
>> Hmm. That doesn't quite sound right, but it's been a while since I
>> compiled the interpreter from source.
>
> Sorry. To clarify, making libpython2.5a available in a $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> was necessary to build numpy and scipy.

I don't see how that could have affected anything. Static libraries aren't
looked up in $LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Certainly not for build-time linking.

> I'm not sure if this is relevant to what you see in the check, but I
> installed scipy_distutils AFTER installing scipy.

scipy_distutils is no longer used. All of its functionality has been folded into
numpy.

What do your environment variables look like when you build?

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco