distutils on Windows with VC++ 8

Rob Williscroft rtw at freenet.co.uk
Fri Sep 22 16:47:21 EDT 2006

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?= wrote in news:4514479B.5070808
@v.loewis.de in comp.lang.python:

> Rob Williscroft schrieb:
>> Download the 1.1 SDK:
>>
>> <url:http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9B3A2CA6-
>> 3647-4070-9F41-A333C6B9181D&displaylang=en>
>>
>> yes it does have 90 odd megabytes of stuff you don't want but the C/C++
>> compiler is in there.
>
> That's yet another option. Somebody reported that the compiler in the
> .NET SDK won't support generating optimized code, though. That's a
> problem for some people.

I belive that was true "Academic" releases of Visual Studio, AIUI it
was never true of the 7.1 compiler that came with .NET 1.1 SDK's.

>> I think the VS 2003 toolkit is a framework for extending Visual Studio
>> 2003, IOW a bunch of .NET dlls, some examples and a helpfile (no
>> compiler).
>
> I don't think so. It was (as it's no longer officially available) a
> command-line only version of the compiler. In any case, it is
> (or was) different from the .NET SDK.

Having read Noel Byron's reply also, I'm tempted to say there is
some confusion here between a Visual *Studio* toolkit (VS 2003)
and a Visual *C++* toolkit (VC 2003).

There is defenitly a Visual Studio Toolkit I downloaded the 2005
version reciently (to test IornPython integration), and I remember
coming accross a 2003 version too ('cause Microsoft never like to
make a download easy to find ;-)).

Rob.
--
http://www.victim-prime.dsl.pipex.com/