distutils:permissions problems

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Mon Oct 9 17:42:59 EDT 2006

I'm developing Python code on multiple VM Ware guest OS running ubuntu.
  I need to share common file space so that each of these guest
instances will have complete access to the to all of the files.

The problem is that, because of a quirk (or misfeature) of VM Ware
shared filesystem, all of the directories and files are owned by root
with a 700 permissions.  When I run setup.py install, they are installed
as root with 700 permissions.  How can I alter the behavior of distutils
so that my modules could be installed with a more useful user and
permissions?

many thanks

---eric