distutils:permissions problems

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Mon Oct 9 19:17:22 EDT 2006

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Eric S. Johansson schrieb:
>> The problem is that, because of a quirk (or misfeature) of VM Ware
>> shared filesystem, all of the directories and files are owned by root
>> with a 700 permissions.  When I run setup.py install, they are installed
>> as root with 700 permissions.  How can I alter the behavior of distutils
>> so that my modules could be installed with a more useful user and
>> permissions?
>
> I recommend to change the permissions after the files have been
> installed. If you absolutely have to change setup.py, you should inherit
> from the install_lib and install_scripts commands, and either override
> the "install" method to install using a different umask, or you should
> look at the get_outputs() result of the command, and modify the files
> after they got installed.
>
> You might also try changing your umask.

thank you for your kind reply.  I have already tried changing umask.
The vmware filesystem has its own interpretation of permissions and
access which bears absolutely no resemblance to either the UNIX or the
NT models.  It feeds false data into the system and well, we get to have
this conversation.  :-)

I'm currently changing permissions afterwards and that's a source of
installation breakage because the same information is stored in multiple
places.  I might be able to unify things if I can figure out how to make
all components reference everything in a setup.cfg file.

your suggestion about modifications isn't all that horrible because I'm
already doing a significant amount of work that isn't covered by the
distutils code as documented.  thank you for the pointers to additional
functionality that might be useful to me.

---eric