Compile python on Solaris 64bit

casevh at comcast.net casevh at comcast.net
Thu Oct 12 11:00:37 EDT 2006

Martijn de Munnik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to compile python on my solaris 10 system (amd 64 bit).
>
> I did the following:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/opt/64/python
> make
>
> which resulted in this error:
> "Include/pyport.h", line 730: #error: "LONG_BIT definition appears wrong
> for platform (bad gcc/glibc config?)."
>
> so I edited the file and removed the error line and did a configure and
> make again after a make distclean.
>
> after a new make I get this error complaining about 32 and 64 bit.
>
> ld: fatal: file Parser/acceler.o: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
>
> when I look to the cc statements none of my CFLAGS are passed while these
> are in my environment;
>
> CC=cc
> CFLAGS=-xO3 -mt -fsimple=1 -ftrap=%none -nofstore -xbuiltin=%all -xlibmil
> -xlibmopt -xtarget=opteron -xarch=amd64 -xregs=no%frameptr
> CXX=CC
> CXXFLAGS=-xO3 -mt -fsimple=1 -ftrap=%none -nofstore -xbuiltin=%all
> -xlibmil -xlibmopt -xtarget=opteron -xarch=amd64 -xregs=no%frameptr
> LDFLAGS=-xtarget=opteron -xarch=amd64
>

> anybody succesfully compiled python on solaris?

I have compiled Python 2.5 successfully on 32-bit Intel platform. After
running configure, I had to manually edit the generated Makefile to add
the contents of CFLAGS.

I've had difficulties with ctypes, too. To get a successful compile, I
had to edit ffitarget.h (I think) and also use the Sun Studio Express 2
compiler suite. Or use gcc.

> thanks,
> martijn

casevh