Compile python on Solaris 64bit

Martijn de Munnik cologuns at xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 12 10:46:19 EDT 2006

Hi,

I want to compile python on my solaris 10 system (amd 64 bit).

I did the following:

./configure --prefix=/opt/64/python
make

which resulted in this error:
"Include/pyport.h", line 730: #error: "LONG_BIT definition appears wrong
for platform (bad gcc/glibc config?)."

so I edited the file and removed the error line and did a configure and
make again after a make distclean.

after a new make I get this error complaining about 32 and 64 bit.

ld: fatal: file Parser/acceler.o: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32

when I look to the cc statements none of my CFLAGS are passed while these
are in my environment;

CC=cc
CFLAGS=-xO3 -mt -fsimple=1 -ftrap=%none -nofstore -xbuiltin=%all -xlibmil
-xlibmopt -xtarget=opteron -xarch=amd64 -xregs=no%frameptr
CXX=CC
CXXFLAGS=-xO3 -mt -fsimple=1 -ftrap=%none -nofstore -xbuiltin=%all
-xlibmil -xlibmopt -xtarget=opteron -xarch=amd64 -xregs=no%frameptr
LDFLAGS=-xtarget=opteron -xarch=amd64

anybody succesfully compiled python on solaris?

thanks,
martijn