Python to use a non open source bug tracker?

Giovanni Bajo noway at sorry.com
Fri Oct 6 04:31:52 EDT 2006

Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> That, in principle, could happen to any other free software as well.
> What is critical here is that SF *hosted* the installation. If we
> would use a tracker that is free software, yet hosted it elsewhere,
> the same thing could happen: the hoster could make modifications to
> it which
> are non-free. Not even the GPL could protect from this case: the
> hoster would be required to publish source only if he publishes
> binaries, but he wouldn't publish any binaries, so he wouldn't need
> to release the source changes, either.
>
> Also, even if it the software is open source and unmodified, there
> still wouldn't be a guarantee that you can get the data out of it
> if you want to. You *only* get the advantages of free software if
> you also run it yourself. Unfortunately, there is a significant
> cost associated with running the software yourself.

You have many good points here, Martin. Let me notice, though, that people
providing hosting not necessarily want to maintain the software by themselves
alone: some python developers could still have admin access to the boxes so to
double check if weird things are being done behind the curtain. I think the
point of uncertainty araises only if you totally trust someone else to do the
job for you.
--
Giovanni Bajo