Python to use a non open source bug tracker?

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Mon Oct 9 11:58:54 EDT 2006

A.M. Kuchling wrote:
> On 9 Oct 2006 06:36:30 -0700,
>  Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk> wrote:
> > ...  Meanwhile, despite the python.org codebase presumably running
> > various commercial sites, ...
>
> Nothing should have given you this impression!  python.org's
> formatting is handled through a custom script called Pyramid, and if
> you poke around with enough determination you can find the SVN
> repository's URL.  But it's never been released as a tarball, and
> isn't used by any other sites.

I believed that Pollenation had deployed other sites using the same
technology. Certainly, they appear to be members of the Nevow community
on which Pyramid somehow seems to be based. Once upon a time, I did
promise to try and make Debian packages available for Pyramid so that
people might be more inclined to use the toolchain and thus contribute
python.org content, but given the complexity of the dependencies
(Twisted 2, some YAML parser that conflicts with the Python bindings of
the most widely-deployed YAML parser, Nevow, other stuff) I decided
that my time was arguably better spent elsewhere, unfortunately.

> As an experiment I tried formatting the python.org site using
> rest2web; that looks promising, if I ever figure out how sidebars
> work, and may someday replace Pyramid.

The python.org redesign was another matter of major community
controversy, of course, although I don't have as much to say on that
matter. One day, the python.org Wiki may have invaded enough of the
visible "reference space" on the site to make the façade so thin as to
be dispensible, although I'm certainly not compaigning for such a thing
to happen.

Paul