question about True values

Antoon Pardon apardon at forel.vub.ac.be
Fri Oct 27 14:22:28 EDT 2006

On 2006-10-27, Donn Cave <donn at u.washington.edu> wrote:
> In article <slrnek3kvc.aqe.apardon at rcpc42.vub.ac.be>,
>  Antoon Pardon <apardon at forel.vub.ac.be> wrote:
>> I think you are incorrect.
>
> Thanks!  I rest my case!
>
>> And how do I express that a number has to be greater than
>> 100 into a Nothing vs Something dichotomy? Declare all
>> greater numbers as Something and the rest as Nothing?
>
> Well, would you declare numbers less than 100 False?

No but the condition: x > 100, will map all numbers to
either True or False. Can you provide a condition that will
provide a mapping to Nothing and Something? Without
artificially mapping False to Nothing and True to Something?

> Think about it in more philosophical terms.  What is Truth?
> The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy may be some help
> with this - http://www.iep.utm.edu/t/truth.htm

I don't care about such philosophical issues. I also
doubt that you could provide better answers if you
would subsituted Somthingness for truth is that text.

> Then when you get tired of that, suppose that "if" and
> "while" are asking for "yes" and "no", instead of "true"
> and "false", and ask yourself if we have the philosophical
> problems with "yes" that we do with "true".

Of course we have. Deciding whether a statment/condition is true
or not is equivallent to deciding whether or not we should answer
yes or no to a related question.

--
Antoon Pardon