Screen capture on Linux

Theerasak Photha hanumizzle at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 12:15:44 EDT 2006

On 22 Oct 2006 09:06:53 -0700, sjdevnull at yahoo.com <sjdevnull at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Paolo Pantaleo wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need to capture a screen snapshot in Linux. PIL has a module
> > IageGrab, but in the free version it only works under Windows. Is
> > there any package to capture the screen on Linux?
>
> xwd comes with the X server.  man xwd
>
> Most useful is "xwd -root" or similar.  You may want "sleep 5; xwd
> -root" to give you some time to set things up as needed, or map it to a
> window manager keybinding.

The problem with that is that xwd format is a non-standard format, and
*uncompressed* on top of that. If he wants to distribute the image to
friends, or whatever, he'll have to convert it to something like png
anyway. If he's using Linux, he probably doesn't need to use xwd
anyway and might as well save himself the effort (and HD space) now.

-- Theerasak