Python component model

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Oct 10 05:56:19 EDT 2006

Diez B. Roggisch wrote:
> Paul Rubin schrieb:
>
>>"Nick Vatamaniuc" <vatamane at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>>Python does not _need_ a component model just as you don't _need_ a RAD
>>>IDE tool to write Python code. The reason for having a component model
>>>or a RAD IDE tool is to avoid writing a lot of boiler plate code.
>>
>>It's also so that applications written in differing languages can call
>>each other.
>

> Nope. Things like CORBA and COM do have that property, but e.g. the Java
> beans spec has only a meaning inside the VM. Not sure about .NET, but I
> can imagine there it's the same thing.

Well the .NET component model is specifically designed to be
cross-language, but that's a feature of .NET/mono rather than of the
componenet framework. You are correct about Beans, though.

> All the languages he mentioned are statically typed, or the component
> models themselves are. So the component model is basically needed (as
> others also mentioned) to glue things together, to dynamize that -
> whereas python is dynamic on the first hand, and actually lacks static
> typing to infer component properties...

Just the same, one can use IronPython to call components written in
other languages. And, I believe, vice versa.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119