Python to use a non open source bug tracker?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Oct 4 15:47:33 EDT 2006

Giovanni Bajo schrieb:
> In fact, are you absolutely positive that you need so much effort to
> maintain an existing bugtracker installation? I know for sure that GCC's
> Bugzilla installation is pretty much on its own; Daniel Berlin does some
> maintainance every once in a while (upgrading when new versions are out,
> applying or writing some patches for most requested features in the
> community, or sutff like that), but it's surely not his job, not even
> part-time.

Daniel Berlin has put a tremendous amount of work into it. I know,
because I set up the first bug tracker for gcc (using GNATS), and
have been followed the several years of pondering fairly closely.
It was quite some work to set up GNATS, and it was even more work
to setup bugzilla.

For Python, we don't have any person similar to Daniel Berlin
(actually, we have several who *could* have done similar work,
 but none that ever volunteered to do it). Don't underestimate
the work of somebody else.

I know that I'm currently putting more time into maintaining the
Subversion installation than I'd like to, despite this being a really
small amount of work per month, and despite others also having been
introduced to the infrastructure necessary for administration.
When I go on vacation, people effectively have to wait until
I return before they can get their write access enabled. I
sometimes defer dealing with admin requests for a few days, and
people start complaining.

Regards,
Martin