Tkinter--does anyone use it for sophisticated GUI development?

Paul Rubin http
Fri Oct 20 01:33:03 EDT 2006

Kevin Walzer <kw at kevin-walzer.com> writes:
> Am I better off biting the bullet and learning wxPython--a different GUI
> paradigm to go with the new language I'm trying to learn? I had hoped to
> reduce my learning curve, but I'm very concerned that I simply can't do
> what I want to do with Tkinter. What do other Tkinter developers think?

I haven't yet found the need to switch to wxPython.  Tkinter is
something of a least common denominator and as such it's been ok for
the stuff I've used it for.  However, tkinter's unpopularity is well
grounded:

  - Tk widgets have their own look, which is both non-native and IMO ugly
  - limited widget set, especially the widgets included with python
  - clumsy programming interface (but wxpython is also clumsy)

If you look at IDLE (the fanciest Tkinter app I've examined) the code
is near incomprehensible.

I have yet to see a gui toolkit which doesn't suck.  I'm not sure why
that is.

Sometimes instead of a gui, I put a local http server into the app,
and connect to it with a browser.  Then I do the whole gui in html.
This has many advantages and often not that much of a downside.
There's a language called Picolisp in which this is the standard way
to do a gui.  Picolisp includes a java applet that can do some stuff
that standard html widgets can't.  These days I suppose it should use
AJAX.