PSF Infrastructure has chosen Roundup as the issue tracker for Python development

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Oct 22 00:46:55 EDT 2006

beliavsky at aol.com schrieb:
> I wonder if the committee has really decided on a PROBLEM or BUG
> tracker, not an "issue" tracker. For some silly reason, "issue" has
> become a euphemism for "problem" nowadays. It is worth keeping in mind
> the difference. Questions about the future direction of Python, such as
> (for example) whether there should be optional static typing, are
> "issues". Python crashing for some reason would be a "problem".

Traditionally (i.e. on SF), we have been tracking three different kinds
of things: bugs, patches, and "requests for enhancements". While bug
reports clearly indicate problems, patches do not so necessarily. The
patch, in itself, is not a "problem", instead, it is fortunate that
somebody contributes to Python. Some patches are, of course, meant to
solve some problem. One may argue that all patches are contributed
because they solve a problem of the submitter.

However, from a technical point of view, these distinctions are minor,
and, indeed, it has been counter-productive to have different trackers
for different kinds of "issues". So the roundup installation will
likely have only a single tracker, with filters to find out whether
the submissions include patches, and perhaps also whether the issue
discussed is an enhancement or not.

Regards,
Martin