3D Vector Type Line-Drawing Program

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at vrplumber.com
Tue Oct 10 18:03:06 EDT 2006

James Stroud wrote:

>> Hello All,
>>
>> I'm looking for a program to do line-drawings in 3d, with output to
>> postscript or svg or pdf, etc. I would like to describe a scene with
>> certain 1-3d elements oriented in 3d space with dashed or colored lines
>> and filled or transparent surfaces (or maybe semitransparent).
>>
>> I would then like to set the camera and have the scene depicted as a
>> line drawing (not ray-traced solid body, etc).
>>
>> Does anyone know of a library to do this?
>>

> I'm really looking for a python library. The title of the post is kind
> of misleading.

At one point I created a gl2ps wrapper for use with PyOpenGL, that,
combined with any of the PyOpenGL-based renderers would allow much of
what you're describing, though IIRC it didn't properly support
transparent or textured surfaces.  You could probably recreate the
wrapper using ctypes in a few hours and then hook it up in a few more.

I believe there are similar OpenGL-to-SVG libraries here and there, you
could likely hook one of them up to get a reasonable result that would
support more graphics features (maybe).  Generally what you get out of
these things, however, is a quite fragmented view of your objects (that
is, you get the triangles that would be rendered).  That *can* be coded
around, but generally people are either focused on making it look good
or making it editable.

Good luck,
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher