can regular ol' python do a php include?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Oct 10 10:26:57 EDT 2006

John Salerno wrote:

> Whenever I turn an eye back toward website design, I find myself making
> frequent use of PHP's include function (or SSI's include directive). So
> I'm curious, is there a way to do this with Python using just the
> standard library?

you don't even need anything from the standard library to inserting output
from one function into given text...

    text = "... my page with %(foo)s markers ..."

    print text % dict(foo=function())

(doing this with output from another Python script is of course also easy;
just use execfile, and collect the output, but that's pretty silly when you can
import the darn thing, and call it instead).

</F>