what are XLRDError and CompDocError?

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Mon Oct 30 07:07:52 EST 2006

kath wrote:
> Hi,
> i am facing some problems with opening an excel file. I am using XLRD
> module.
> I am getting
>
> XLRDError: Can't find workbook in OLE2 compound document
>
> and
>
> CompDocError: Not a whole number of sectors
>
> exceptions in seperate try on different files.
>
> 1.Does any one know anout these exceptions? what is the cause?

a. "XLRDError: Can't find workbook in OLE2 compound document" -- would
indicate that the OLE internal directory is broken. Can't find an entry
named Workbook or Book.

b. "CompDocError: Not a whole number of sectors" -- would indicate that
the file is truncated or otherwise malformed.

> 2. what I should do to resolve these problems.?

Send an e-mail message to the package author, providing in each case
(1) the versions of Python and xlrd that you are using, on what
platform
(2) a full copy/paste of the error message *AND* the traceback
(3) a copy of the file
(4) what software (with version info, if possible) was used to create
the file
(5) what results you get when you try to open it with OpenOffice.org's
calc, Gnumeric, Excel, Excel Viewer, ...

Cheers