What's the best IDE?

Éric Daigneault daigno at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 01:17:06 EDT 2006

/What's your favorite IDE?/

Eclipse with pydev and extentions, and subclipse for subversion
/
What do you like about it?
/When I started Python I tried a whole bunch of IDEs, Komodo, Idle, active state but got tired by having to learn to navigate through a new environment, so I settled for PyDev and Eclipse./

/Cause I know it well (used it for java since it`s beta pre release baby versions) and can use the same environment for my C++ (CDT), Java, python (Now that for me is a major +)...  I oftenly use python as a glue for different small apps and I do like the idea of staying in the same environment for all of them, feels like good'ol slippers.  Plus since I use SCons for building most my C++ apps it's just dandy.

This being said it is not great, the completion sometimes works in mysterious ways,  The pydev Extentions nag screen can be annoying (note to self :  gotta buy the thing...), some of the automations can be weirdly unproductive and there are probably better python dedicated environment out there but I like it, it suits my needs.  However for small hit and run in the code there is nothing like (ViM, Idle, notepad, JPad <Enter a text editor name here...>) as it is very oftenly over with before the splash screen of <Whatever big IDE> ever left the screen.

/It would be fine for a begginer, right?
/If you know Eclipse already then it is a good bet, If not but want an IDE that can be a good swiss army knife *AND* have time to space to learn the environment then it is an excellent choice.

But sincerely, I learned python with Idle and the interactive shell, I did not feel I coule really appreciate what An IDE had to offer me before I really knew what the language could do for me, how it did it and why I would do it with it.

Enough to have to learn a language to be bothered to learn an environment, I mean unless you actually like the exilierating feeling of being a newbie all across the board ;-).

However with Python after you have read the quick card (http://www.limsi.fr/Individu/pointal/python/pqrc/) and poke it with the interactive shell for a couple of hours you'll be (almost) as expert as all the regulars here :-P...

Éric :D.